Can I Modify My Divorce Terms During COVID-19?

In the wake of the new coronavirus, more and more people have undergone significant changes to their everyday lives, whether it be losing employment, contracting the virus, or otherwise. Fortunately, though times are difficult, in many cases, you can still change certain divorce terms, such as alimony or child support terms (even temporarily, if need be). Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bergen County family law attorneys to learn more about post-judgment modifications and how we can help you get one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Am I allowed to modify the terms of my divorce?

As long as you can prove to a judge that you have undergone a substantial change, and that this change will affect you for the foreseeable future, you may be granted a post-divorce modification. Some examples of changes can include losing your job due to the COVID-19 pandemic, warranting a temporary modification to child support or alimony payments. Additionally, you and your former spouse may adjust child custody terms accordingly, especially if you can agree that you do not want your child in certain areas that may have high concentrations of COVID-19 cases. Finally, if, by some chance, you can prove that your child’s other parent is parentally unfit, this may also warrant a change in child custody terms. However, you should understand that parental unfitness can only be proven if a child has been exposed to drug use, domestic abuse, or some other action or instance of extreme lack of judgment on a parent’s part.

How do I prove I need a post-divorce judgment?

As mentioned above, to be granted a post-divorce judgment, you will have to prove that it is absolutely necessary. To do so, our firm can help you obtain police reports, school records, financial papers, tax returns, and any other means by which you can prove that a modification to your divorce terms is truly necessary. For any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable Bergen County family law attorneys today. We are here to help you through every step of the process ahead–all you have to do is ask.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a Cohabitation Agreement?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri Nominated Vice Chair of NJSBA Women in the Profession Section
  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?