There are few things more mutually rewarding than adopting a child. However, if you have been considering adoption, you should understand that there are several different types of adoption you may choose from. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bergen County family law attorneys to learn more about the various types of adoption available to you.
- Domestic Adoption: If you are looking to adopt a child who was born in, and lives in the United States, this form of adoption is for you. Open domestic adoption is becoming more and more common here in the U.S. Open domestic option is when a child and his or her adoptive parents remain in touch with the child’s biological parents.
- Private Adoption: A private adoption is when someone adopts a child they either already know, or when someone adopts a child through that child’s biological parent. In most cases, this type of adoption will bypass the foster care system.
- International Adoption: International adoption is when someone adopts a child who is not living in the United States. This process often requires several trips to and from the child’s home country, so you can expect a few more challenges along the way, however, adopting internationally is an extremely rewarding process.
- Adult Adoption: Generally, this is when two or more adults seek to transfer inheritance rights or filiation.
- Stepparent Adoption: If you are looking to adopt your stepchild, you will either need explicit consent and approval from the child’s biological parent, or you will have to prove that there was an incident of domestic abuse or neglect on the part of the biological parent, thereby terminating his or her parental rights.
- LGBT Adoption: Unfortunately, not every state in the U.S. allows LGBT adoption, however, in New Jersey, it is perfectly legal.
- Second-Parent Adoption: Second-parent adoption is when a same-sex parent seeks to adopt a biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status.
If you have any additional questions regarding the adoption process ahead, please do not hesitate to give our Bergen County family law attorneys today. We are here to help.
Contact our experienced Bergen County firm
At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.