Post Addiction Recovery Lawyers Bergen County NJ: Parenting Time, the Law, the Courts, and You

Post Addiction Recovery Lawyers Bergen County NJ Parenting Time, the Law, the Courts, and YouAddiction has many facets and non of them are good.  The suffering caused by addiction is not contained to the addict but extends to their family and friends as well.  It cannot be understated that children of addicted parents can suffer profound lifelong psychological trauma.  Addiction and substance abuse is one of the primary causes of loss of child custody which can be another source of suffering with the loss of time with a loving parent..

According to Psychology Today, one in five American children live in homes with parental substance abuse meaning it is a nation wide problem.  Although many families may feel that they are alone in their suffering that just isn’t the case.  The road back can be a difficult one to walk, but it is one that can be filled with help and understanding.

The most important step on the road to recovery is to get help and complete treatment for your addiction.  Be it drug, alcohol, or even a sex addiction, there are those who have found their way back from whatever hell they may have suffered.  As a parent, if your addiction has caused you to loss parenting time due to a court order, then completion of a recognized treatment program is the first step to regaining time with your children.  At the successful completion of your program you can petition the court to reinstate your parenting time.

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience resolving child custody and child custody modification issues for clients across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Teaneck, Ridgewood, Fort Lee, and Hackensack. Speak with our family law team today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your child custody agreement, or a modification. Contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Parenting time After an Addiction Hackensack NJ Lawyers fight for you

A formal court order entered by a family judge that terminated your parenting time can only be undone by filing a motion with the family court where this order was entered, petitioning your parenting time to be reestablished. In your filing, you must outline the steps you have taken to overcome your addiction and the continuing steps that you plan to take to ensure continued recovery. It is advised to attach to copies of your discharge summary from treatment, relevant doctor’s reports, proof of enrollment in continued recovery programs and statement of any other professionals that may help your case. In essence the court will require proof that your recovery is real and will carry on into the future.

Co-parenting after Addiction Paramus NJ : Lawyers Willing to Fight for You

Also very important to the process is keeping the other parent up to date with your filing and providing them with copies of any paperwork that you file or intend to file. You should prepare yourself: there may be opposition to your request from your children’s other parent based on your past actions. You should try your best to not get angry. As you seek understanding from them you should attempt to apply some yourself, and hope that they are simply looking out for the best interests of the kids.

It is possible that you have to testify as to your recovery at a custody hearing. At this time you may call witnesses to your recovery including therapist or other professional involved in your recovery program. In the end the courts will always decide based on what is in the best interest of the children. The judge may order that your initial parenting time be supervised, either by the court or by a trusted friend or family member agree on by both you and your co-parent. Supervised visitation is meant to be temporary, so be sure to cooperate with the terms of the parenting time plan and do not miss any visits. Success during this time will be a big factor in getting unsupervised parenting time going forward.

How to regain child custody after addiction? Call a Bergen County Family Lawyer Today

Courts strongly favor participation of both parents in children’s lives as long as not harmful. By continuing to work on your recovery as well as your relationships with your children, you will have a much greater chance of successfully rebuilding a relationship with them in addition to improving your own life.

Call a Bergen County Family Lawyer Today to regain custody of your child after addiction

At The Law Office of Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping parents to resolve all manner of child custody and visitation issues for those who have shown that they are sincerely on the road to recovery from addiction in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Ridgewood, Hackensack, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee.

Recovery from substance abuse and getting your life back can be a long hard road, but it isn’t one you need to walk alone. To speak with our team of lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding any kind of child custody or child visitation issue you may be facing, or if you would like more information regarding reestablishing parenting time with your children, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack,NJ offices today at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?