Post-Divorce Modifications in New Jersey | What You Need to Know

Divorce is a complicated issue, and unfortunately, certain matters are still complicated even after a divorce is finalized. Additionally, in the months and years following a divorce, both former spouse’s lives are highly likely to change, and when life does change, their initial divorce agreement may no longer reflect their current situation. If you believe that your life has changed significantly and you are looking to receive a modification, you must continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Bergen County divorce attorneys to learn more about post-divorce modifications in New Jersey and how we can help you receive one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some of the most common grounds for a post-divorce modification?

There are several circumstances that may qualify for a post-divorce modification, including the following:

  • The financially independent spouse lost his or her job or developed a serious medical condition, thereby warranting a decrease in support payments.
  • The financially independent spouse received a job promotion or otherwise came into a large sum of money, warranting an increase in alimony payments to the dependent spouse.
  • One spouse has exposed their child either to domestic violence, has a substance abuse issue, or otherwise has his or her parental fitness called into question, thereby warranting a modification to child custody terms.
  • The financially dependent spouse has moved in with another partner or has remarried, warranting a modification to support payments.
  • One parent wishes to relocate with his or her child, requiring a modified child custody agreement.
  • A child is looking to pursue higher education or has special needs, warranting an extension on their child support agreement past the standard age of emancipation.

How can I prove that I require a post-divorce modification?

There are several ways to prove that you truly require a modification. Depending on the circumstances of your request, our firm can use several types of evidence, including police reports, school reports, financial documents, legal documents, text messages, emails, videos, or any other type of evidence that proves you have undergone a significant and continuing change in circumstances. If you have any additional questions or you are ready to get started, please do not hesitate to give us a call today. We are always here to help.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Protect My 401(k) In a Divorce?
  •  Does Child Support Cover School Lunches?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?