My Spouse Stopped Paying Child Support. What Should I Do?

If your spouse has recently refused to pay child support, there is a very good chance that you are angry, frustrated, and worried about the future of your family. Our knowledgeable Bergen County family law attorneys are here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced firm to learn more about child support enforcement and how we can help you through every step of the process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What happens when my ex stops paying child support?

When a former spouse refuses to pay child support, the first thing you should do is contact the Office of Child Support Services (OCSS). Even if you do not receive your child support payments through the Office, you can still contact them. If you do receive child support payments through them, OCSS agents will immediately work to enforce your child support agreement. As long as your former spouse is more than two weeks behind on payments, they will act quickly. However, in certain cases, OCSS will not act as quickly as you may need, which is why you may wish to explore your other options, such as requesting action from the courts.

How do New Jersey courts enforce child support orders?

If your former spouse is violating his or her child support orders, New Jersey courts will swiftly hold him or her accountable. Some of the actions that New Jersey courts may take are as follows:

  • They may suspend your ex’s driver’s license
  • They may prevent your former spouse from renewing his or her passport
  • If your former spouse has a professional license, they may suspend that license
  • They may garnish your former spouse’s wages until he or she pays
  • They may seize assets from your ex’s bank account
  • They may place liens on your former spouse’s assets
  • They may seize personal injury claims winnings, tax refunds, or lottery winnings

If, after taking these actions, your former spouse still refuses to pay the child support he or she owes, courts may report your ex to credit agencies. This will, in turn, affect your former spouse’s credit score, and, if this still does not work, the courts may issue a warrant for your ex’s arrest. The bottom line is that if you find yourself in this precarious situation, you can always call on our knowledgeable Bergen County family law firm.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri to Speak at NJSBA Annual Meeting on CLE Panel
  •  Can I Collect Social Security From My Ex?