What to Know About Alimony Enforcement in New Jersey

If your former spouse is no longer making full or regular alimony payments, you may be wondering about alimony enforcement in New Jersey. Continue reading and contact our experienced alimony attorney to learn more.

What should I do if I am not receiving my alimony payments?

Certain changed circumstances may cause a former spouse to stop making full or regular alimony payments such as losing a job or suffering a serious injury. It is not always easy for formerly married partners to discuss this topic. This is why it is recommended to speak with an alimony attorney who can contact your former spouse from a neutral point of view.

If your former spouse has a legitimate reason for being unable to make regular or complete alimony payments, you may need to modify your existing alimony agreement. However, arrears will need to be paid even if you chose to modify the agreement.

If your former spouse is refusing to make payments without a legitimate reason, you may need to take legal action to enforce the alimony agreement with the assistance of an experienced attorney in your corner. Our divorce firm understands the emotional nature of these communications and will work to communicate with your former spouse in a way that will clearly and calmly assess the situation.

What are motions to enforce alimony agreements?

If your former spouse is refusing to make accurate alimony payments as per your signed agreement without appropriate justification, our attorney can assist you by filing a motion to enforce an alimony agreement. This motion will include your own preferences regarding the resolution such as requesting all late payments be made, that your legal fees are reimbursed, or that your future payments are made in a timely matter.

The court may take the following steps in order to recoup your payments if the notice of motion for enforcement of the alimony agreement is found to be in good standing:

  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts
  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments
  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sale
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment

If you have any further questions regarding this process, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced attorney who will walk you through the steps ahead. Give our firm a call today to learn more about our services.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a Cohabitation Agreement?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri Nominated Vice Chair of NJSBA Women in the Profession Section
  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?