Post-Divorce Modifications in New Jersey

Though all former spouses are relieved to put their divorce behind them, the truth is, as your life changes, the terms reached in your divorce years ago may now need to be adjusted accordingly. Read on and reach out to our experienced firm to learn more about how we can help you going forward:

Can I change the terms of my divorce after the fact?

Fortunately, you can. There are various reasons former spouses seek what is known as a “post-divorce modification,” however, the primary qualifier is whether there has been a significant change in circumstance, thereby warranting a change in the divorce’s terms. Some factors that may warrant a post-divorce modification are as follows:

  • Your child’s schedule has changed, therefore warranting an adjustment to your child custody terms
  • Your or your former spouse have either remarried or are now cohabitating with another person, thereby warranting a change in your alimony, or spousal support terms
  • Your child has reached adulthood, according to state law, and therefore no longer requires child support
  • You or your former spouse have recently received a promotion or have come into a large inheritance, or, on the flip-side, a demotion, or unwillingly lost a job, warranting a change in spousal support payments
  • Though this seldom happens, if you or your spouse recently exposed your child to an incident of domestic violence, or you or your spouse has a substance abuse problem or mental illness, courts will very often make adjustments to the terms of your child custody agreement

What aspects of my divorce can I modify?

As stated earlier, you can modify the terms of your child support, alimony, or child custody. That being said, simply telling the court you need an adjustment is not enough to have it granted. This is why you must first hire an experienced attorney who can prove that your request is legitimate. To do so, he or she will use various types of evidence, including financial documents, school records, police reports, tax returns, and more. While it may be possible to reach an agreement without the help of an attorney, this is generally not the case. If you have any additional questions regarding the modification process, please do not hesitate to reach out to our compassionate firm.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee.

To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about moving out of your marital home during your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Protect My 401(k) In a Divorce?
  •  Does Child Support Cover School Lunches?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?