What to Know About Parental Alienation in New Jersey

If your former spouse is badmouthing you to your child in an attempt to manipulate them into distrusting or fearing you, continue reading to learn how parental alienation can affect your child custody agreement. If you require assistance from our skilled New Jersey child custody attorney, give our firm a call today.

What are examples of parental alienation?

Parental alienation can include the following patterns or actions:

  • A parent instilling a hatred, fear, or distrust of the other parent or guardian
  • A parent telling a child lies about a co-parent
  • A parent telling a child that their co-parent does not love them
  • A parent telling a child that their co-parent does not care for them, or is otherwise a bad person
  • Creating scenarios that frame a co-parent as lesser than or in some cases as less dependable
    • Some parents will create a false sense that their child is in danger when under the case of their co-parent

How can parental alienation impact child custody?

It may be possible to change your custody agreement if your spouse is showing signs of parental alienation. You will need to prove that your former spouse is violating the core of your child custody agreement by attempting to sabotage your relationship with your child. To do so, it is important that you retain the services of an experienced child custody attorney. Parental alienation is a direct violation of the core agreement of your child custody agreement: that your agreement reflects that you and your former spouse will do everything in your power to act in the best interest of your child.

You will then file a motion with the courts to modify your custody agreement with the assistance of your attorney. Your attorney will request this modification to shield your child from forms of mental abuse. In some cases, you may be able to fight for sole custody of your child.

If you believe that your child is the victim of parental alienation, it is time o take action. Reach out to our experienced firm to learn how we can assist you if you are looking to file a motion with the courts to modify our custody agreement. Give our legal team a call today to get started with this process. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?