What Should I Do if My Ex Isn’t Following Our Child Custody Agreement?

As a parent, having custody of your child is paramount, and if you are a divorced parent and share custody with your former spouse, you depend on your spouse to abide by your custody agreement. When he or she fails to do so, it can hurt both you and your child, and you are most likely now looking to do something about it. Continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Bergen County family law attorneys to learn more about how we can help if your ex is refusing to follow your custody agreement. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How can someone violate a child custody agreement?

Unfortunately, there are several actions a parent can take that would be considered a violation of a child custody agreement, some of which are as follows:

  • Having a substance abuse issue
  • Exposing children to an act of domestic violence
  • Refusing to return the children (which may even be considered kidnapping, a felony)
  • Ignoring the visitation schedule established by the courts
  • Badmouthing one parent to the child
  • Otherwise acting in any way that does not act in the best interests of the child, which violates the core of any child custody agreement.

What should I do if my ex is refusing to follow our child custody agreement?

First, depending on the situation and the severity of your ex’s non-compliance, you may wish to simply speak with your former spouse and correct the issue outside of ac courtroom setting. This is the cheapest, and simplest, way to resolve a child custody dispute. That being said, if you tried to do so and your former spouse still refuses to comply, or you otherwise know that your ex will not comply, you should speak with our New Jersey family law attorneys who can work to prove that your former spouse has violated your child custody agreement. As long as we can do so, with court intervention, we can strive to receive a child custody modification on the basis that your former spouse is refusing to act in the best interests of your child, and that a modification to your custody agreement would benefit and protect your child. For any further questions, please do not hesitate to speak with us today.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?