What Should I do if I am Scared For my Child’s Safety Around my Former Spouse?

There are few things more heinous and repulsive than child abuse. That being said, if you suspect your former spouse is abusing or neglecting your child, there are several things you must do, among them notifying Child Protective Services. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Bergen County firm to learn more about CPS and how our firm can help you and your family return to normalcy again.

What is the DCP&P?

New Jersey’s Child Protective Services is known as the New Jersey Department of Child Protection and Permanency (or DCP&P). If you are someone who suspects your child is being abused by your former spouse, you should immediately call the DCP&P to investigate. They will help to ensure your child is safe and protected from a potential abuser by potentially even removing that child from the dangerous home and placing him or her in safe custody.

That being said, if you suspect your child is in any immediate danger, the most important thing you can do is call 911 immediately to ensure your child receives instant attention to get him or her out of the dangerous situation. Lastly, if you need an attorney who can help ensure your child’s safety is protected, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today. Our attorneys have over 75 years of combined legal experience within the New Jersey Family Court System of which we are ready to put to work for you.

Will my former spouse know if I call Child Protective Services on him/her?

Fortunately, Child Protective Services is only permitted to give your former spouse a certain amount of information. So, if child support services come knocking on your former spouse’s door, your spouse can ask them for identification, basic details about the report (such as what type of abuse was reported), and child protective services can have a private interview with your child to ask him/her what happened. That being said, Child Protective Services may not tell your ex who reported the issue, they will most likely show up without warning, and they do not have the right to arrest your spouse. Additionally, your spouse is not required to answer any of their questions, and they are not required to sign any documents. If there is proof of abuse, our firm can help ensure your former spouse is brought to justice.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?