What Happens if My Former Spouse Violates Our Child Custody Agreement?

There is nothing more important to parents than their children. If you believe your former spouse is violating your child custody agreement, please read on and reach out to our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about how we can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some examples of violating a child custody agreement?

There are various ways in which a parent may violate a child custody agreement, though the general rule of thumb is that when a parent does not act in his or her child’s best interests, there is a very good chance that he or she is violating the core of a child custody agreement. Some examples of violating a child custody agreement include taking the children without permission (this is a very serious offense, and can even sometimes be considered kidnapping), refusing to comply with the visitation schedule established in the initial child custody agreement, making legal decisions on behalf of a child without obtaining legal custody of the child, developing harmful personal habits (e.g. drug or substances abuse), committing acts of domestic violence, or even badmouthing the other parent to the children. These are just some examples of how a parent can violate a child custody agreement, and if you believe your co-parent has violated your custody agreement, you are most likely wondering how you can stop it.

How can I enforce a child custody agreement?

Though the most straightforward–and simple–way to enforce a child custody agreement is to speak with your child’s parent and try and get him or her to see the error of their ways and follow the custody agreement as it is written. However, this is not always possible, in which case you may have to handle the matter in court. In this case, you should keep a written record of all the times in which the parent violated the custody agreement, and do everything you can to document these violations. Text messages, pictures, videos, police reports, and more can all help prove as much. From here, you should hire a knowledgeable Bergen County family law attorney who can work to submit a written warning to your former spouse, stating that we will take legal action if he or she does not correct the issue. From here, if the issue is not resolved, we can seek court intervention and work to obtain a modification to your custody agreement. Regardless of your situation, if your co-parent is violating your custody agreement, our firm is here to help.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Protect My 401(k) In a Divorce?
  •  Does Child Support Cover School Lunches?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?