What Happens if My Former Spouse is Refusing to Pay Alimony in NJ?

There are few things more important after a divorce than receiving the alimony payments to which you are entitled. If your former spouse is currently refusing to pay alimony, you most likely have a lot on your mind. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about how we can assist you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if my former spouse is refusing to pay alimony?

When one former spouse is refusing to make the alimony payments you are owed, you should consider first speaking with your formers spouse and determining the reasoning for the lack of payment. There are certain circumstances that may actually be valid reasons as to why he or she is unable to make these payments. In many cases, it is best to simply speak with your former spouse and try to work out a civil agreement on your own. However, if this is not possible, then you should begin considering your legal options.

How can an attorney help me make my former spouse pay alimony?

If your former spouse is refusing to make alimony payments and he or she does not have a valid reason for doing so, you should absolutely retain the services of an attorney who can work to notify the courts and enforce alimony. There are a wide variety of actions that the courts can take after you do so, including garnishing their wages to pay alimony, draft a “writ of execution,” ordering a bank to deduct a specific amount from their bank account, and place it into yours, place liens on his or her property, or even find him or her in contempt of court. This may result in sanctions, fines, and even jail time.

Courts can even order that your former spouse pay interest on the support payments owed, or that he or she pays any legal fees you’ve incurred in the process of alimony enforcement. If you have any additional questions, or you require the services of a knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorney, please do not hesitate to give us a call today. We are here to help in any way we can.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a Cohabitation Agreement?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri Nominated Vice Chair of NJSBA Women in the Profession Section
  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?