What Happens if I Share Legal Custody of a Child and We Don’t Agree on Sending Our Child Back to School?

Tips for Co-Parenting after Divorce

TThe COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way every single one of us lives our lives. Unfortunately, this change is largely for the worse, and we are left grappling with drastically shifted schedules, widespread unemployment, and, of course, physical illness at every turn. Fortunately, now, the virus does seem to be letting up at least to some degree, and in certain states, New York and New Jersey being two of them. As a result, many schools are making plans to reopen, at least partially in the fall. Of course, this has been met with a wide range of responses. For many parents, children returning to school is welcome news. However, on the other hand, many parents are very worried about their children’s safety and would prefer that they not return to school as of yet.

This is a very complicated issue, and if you are a divorced co-parent who shares legal custody, it may be even more complicated if you or your former spouse believes your child should return to school and the other does not. If you are currently in this situation or a similar one, you are most likely wondering what the best way forward is. While, of course, simply talking with your former spouse, and your child, until you all reach an agreement is ideal, this is not always possible. In this case, it is best you reach out to an experineced Bergen County family law mediator who can assist you and your former spouse in making this critical decision.

What does a mediator do?

Essentially, a mediator is a neutral, non-biased third-party whose job is to sit with both you and your former spouse and hear out both of your concerns and feelings about any given family law matter. In this case, you and your former spouse can explain why/why not you believe your child should return to school. A mediator will listen to both of your points, and from there, work to facilitate a productive conversation so you may reach a compromise of some sort. Oftentimes, this is the best way for former spouses to reach an agreement on any given matter, as they each feel as though their voices have been heard. Of course, this is also not always possible, and if you feel strongly enough, you can hire an attorney who can request a modification to your custody agreement with the courts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?