Modifying Child Support Terms in New Jersey

Child support, whether you are the supporting parent or the dependent parent, is a key issue when you get divorced. However, once your divorce is finalized, you will find that your circumstances, both physically, emotionally, and financially will change over the next few months or years. When you or your former spouse’s financial circumstances change, you will most likely request that your child support payments are adjusted accordingly.

Fortunately, New Jersey courts provide parents with a means to request child support modifications. Please read on and speak with one of our experienced attorneys to learn more about modifications in the state of New Jersey. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How does New Jersey calculate child support payments?

New Jersey courts consider various aspects, financial and otherwise, of you and your former spouse’s lives before making their decision regarding the terms of your child support. Some of the factors the courts will consider are as follows:

  • How old your child is
  • You and your former spouse’s age and health
  • You and your former spouse’s yearly income
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child plans on attending college
  • The terms of your child custody
  • The number of children living in your household

What scenarios will qualify for a child support modification?

There are several different situations in which a parent is justified in requesting an adjustment in their child support terms. They are as follows:

  • One parent has recently lost their job
  • One parent has recently received a promotion or a demotion
  • One parent has recently come into a large sum of money
  • One parent has recently remarried and no longer requires child support payments
  • One of the parents has recently lost their home
  • The supporting parent has recently either developed a medical condition or was seriously injured, and now requires his or her funds to receive necessary medical treatment.

How do I get child support terms modified in New Jersey?

First, you and your attorney will file a motion with the courts and request a child support modification. If you provide a sufficient amount of proof to demonstrate that an adjustment is truly necessary, you will be granted the modification. An experienced attorney will help you gather all the information you need to present a convincing case.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee.

To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about moving out of your marital home during your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?