How Do You Enforce Child Support in the State of New Jersey?

In the state of New Jersey, the age of emancipation is 18. Until that time, and sometimes beyond it, circumstances permitting, both parents are expected to support their children. Unfortunately, your former spouse has made the decision to not fulfill their financial obligation as dictated by the state’s Family Court. If you require assistance in making sure that your former spouse meets his or her financial obligations, please read on, then contact one of our experienced child support enforcement attorneys in Bergen County, NJ to learn how do you enforce child support in the state of New Jersey.

How is child support enforced in the state of New Jersey?

In the Garden State, the state Department of Human Services, Division of Family Development, Office of Child Support Services and individual county administrators supervise the Child Support Program. Should the non-custodial parent, presumably your former spouse, elect not to pay his or her fair share, the custodial parent, presumably you, or the Child Support Program can file a support violation petition in Family Court. Your former spouse may face the following penalties:

  • Wage garnishments
  • Wage assignments
  • Contempt of court decrees
  • Seizure of the non-payer’s property by writ of execution

If the Family Court deems it necessary, a bench warrant may be issued for the non-paying parent if he or she does not appear in court for a violation hearing or falls seriously behind in child support payments. Willful nonpayment of child support may result in the delinquent parent serving some time in jail.

How much child support are your children entitled to in New Jersey?

The state of New Jersey has developed a fairly simple metric for calculating the amount each parent will have to pay in child support. It starts with calculating the couple’s gross income, i.e. the amount earned before taxes and deductions, and then allocating a percentage based on the number of children. The breakdown is as follows:

  • 17% for 1 child
  • 25% for 2 children
  • 29% for 3 children
  • 31% for 4 children
  • 35% for five or more children

How can a Bergen County family law attorney help you enforce child support?

One of our skilled child support lawyers in Bergen County, NJ can file the correct paperwork and attend hearings on your behalf. A qualified legal representative will help inform you of your rights and responsibilities and see that you are generally well-prepared for the enforcement proceedings. While they may seem straightforward, simple mistakes can cost your children dearly. Do not go it alone. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?