How Do New Jersey Courts Handle Incidents of Domestic Violence?

If your partner is abusive, the most important thing you can do is refuse to make excuses and take action immediately. If it happened once, it will probably happen again, and there is no apology sufficient. Domestic abuse is the ultimate form of betrayal, and it can happen to anyone, regardless of gender, age, or sexual orientation. If you are the victim of domestic abuse, please read on and reach out to our compassionate firm as soon as you can. We are here to help get you to safety. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are New Jersey’s laws regarding domestic abuse?

As per the 1991 Prevention of Domestic Violence Act, victims of domestic abuse are allowed to seek both civil and criminal relief against their abusers for their protection. However, the first step forward is obtaining a Temporary Restraining Order.

How do I get a restraining order against an abusive person?

Though you may not wish to get the police involved, the most important thing is your safety. The first thing you must do after an incident of domestic violence is to report it either to your local police or court. Once you do, a Temporary Restraining Order is immediately filed against the aggressor. These restraining orders are put in place to protect you and your family until the Final Restraining Order hearing takes place, where the court will decide whether the restraining order should be made permanent. These restraining orders will indefinitely prevent your former partner from contacting you and your family in any way, shape, or form. You may press additional criminal charges against your former partner by filing a Criminal Complaint about the assault, emotional abuse, stalking, harassment, sexual abuse, and any other form of abusive behavior.

Those who are victims of domestic violence should call the police as soon as an incident occurs, no matter how intimidated or threatened they feel. Police are here to diffuse the situation, get you to safety, and document the incident to help you receive a TRO against the offending party. Additionally, it oftentimes helps to speak with an understanding, attentive person who knows what you are going through and who can offer valuable advice regarding the next step forward. Please do not hesitate to reach out to the National Domestic Abuse Hotline for a compassionate ear. Their phone number is as follows: 1-800-799-7233.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee.

To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about moving out of your marital home during your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a Cohabitation Agreement?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri Nominated Vice Chair of NJSBA Women in the Profession Section
  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?