How Do I Modify a Prenuptial Agreement in New Jersey?

If you and your partner were about to get married and decided to draft a prenuptial agreement, congratulations: you made one of the smartest decisions you will ever make. Prenuptial agreements are instrumental in preserving, and potentially saving certain assets from divorce. Now that the stigma surrounding prenuptial agreements has largely gone by the wayside, looking back, this most likely makes you appreciate drafting such an agreement even more. That being said, life changes, and as life changes, priorities change, perhaps you have children, or you got a new job. No matter the circumstances, when life changes, finances almost always change with it. That is why, in the months or years after drafting prenuptial agreements, many spouses wish to modify their prenuptial agreements to better reflect their current situation. If you are someone who would like to learn more about modifying your prenuptial agreement in the state of New Jersey, please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bergen County marital agreement attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead.

Modifying Prenuptial Agreements in the State of New Jersey

Modifying prenuptial agreements in the state of New Jersey simply due to a significant change in circumstances is relatively simple with the assistance of an experienced New Jersey family law attorney. All you will have to do is request a modification and sign an agreement regarding the desired modification. That being said, if you are looking to contest your prenuptial agreement because your spouse violated one or more of the terms of your agreement, this may become more complicated, which is why you will absolutely require the assistance of experienced legal counsel. To contest a prenuptial agreement in New Jersey, you and your attorney will have to work to prove that your spouse did, indeed, violate the agreement’s terms. From here, as long as you can prove as much, you should be able to void that term, or all terms, of the agreement. The bottom line is that no matter whether you wish to modify your agreement due to a simple change in circumstances, or because you believe your spouse violated the agreement, you need an attorney to guide you through the process. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a Cohabitation Agreement?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri Nominated Vice Chair of NJSBA Women in the Profession Section
  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?