How Can You Be Deemed an Unfit Parent in New Jersey?

Being a parent is central to your identity. Unfortunately, an alleged mistake on your part puts your parental rights in jeopardy. If you would like to remain a part of your child’s life, please read on, then contact one of our experienced child custody attorneys in Bergen County NJ to learn how you can be deemed an unfit parent in New Jersey.

How can you be deemed an unfit parent in New Jersey?

In New Jersey, the legal definition of an unfit parent is a parent or caretaker who is unable to provide a safe, secure, nurturing home for his or her child. The inability to do so could put the child at risk of suffering emotional, psychological or physical harm as a result.

What are some examples of unfit parents in New Jersey?

The following actions are examples of unfit parents in New Jersey:

  • Abandonment, desertion and neglect
  • Failure to maintain a reasonable degree of interest, concern or responsibility for the child’s welfare
  • Extreme or repeated cruelty to the child or documented child abuse
  • Depravity, as illustrated by past criminal convictions
  • Mental illness that negatively impacts your ability to parent
  • Substance abuse, especially in the presence of children
  • Missing child custody visits
  • Hoarding and other environmental hazards

These are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Many other actions, including ones that may be specific to your case, could force the Family Court to deem you an unfit parent.

How do you preserve or recover your parental rights in New Jersey?

To regain your parental rights, you should first reach out to one of our experienced Bergen County NJ family law and divorce attorneys. A qualified legal representative will guide you through the process, which includes evaluations, navigating the Child Protective Services system and negotiating the terms and conditions by which you can recover your parental rights. Upon the completion of these terms and conditions, and with the assistance of your attorney, you can go back to court to ask for a modification of the child custody order. When your case goes to court, your attorney will present evidence in support of your request for a new custody arrangement or visitation rights. Many cases languish; do not let yours be one of them.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What is a Cohabitation Agreement?
  •  Angela M. Scafuri Nominated Vice Chair of NJSBA Women in the Profession Section
  •  What Are The Best Ways To Save Money in an NJ Divorce?