How Can Parental Alienation Impact Child Custody in New Jersey?

If you believe that your former spouse is badmouthing you to your child or otherwise trying to manipulate your child to fear or distrust you, reach out to our experienced family law attorney to learn how parental alienation can affect your child custody agreement.

What are the most common forms of parental alienation?

Parental alienation can come in many forms. The one thing that all forms of parental alienation have in common is that these actions are typically intentional. Parental alienation may include the following actions or patterns:

  • A parent telling a child lies about a co-parent
  • A parent telling a child that their co-parent does not care for them, or is otherwise a bad person
  • A parent telling a child that their co-parent does not love them
  • A parent instilling a hatred, fear, or distrust of the other parent or guardian
  • Creating scenarios that frame a co-parent as lesser than or in some cases as less dependable
    • Some parents will create a false sense that their child is in danger when under the case of their co-parent

Can I change my custody agreement if my former spouse is showing signs of parental alienation?

With the assistance of an experienced child custody attorney, you will prove that your former spouse is violating the core of your child custody agreement by trying to sabotage your relationship with your child. The core of your child custody agreement reflects that you and your former spouse will do everything in your power to act in the best interest of your child. Parental alienation is a violation of this core agreement in most cases.

Your attorney will then file a motion with the courts to modify your custody agreement. They will request this modification to shield your child from this form of mental abuse. You may even be able to fight to obtain sole custody of your child in some cases. If you are looking into filing a motion with the courts to modify your custody agreement, it is important that you retain the services of a child custody attorney who will walk you through the steps ahead. If you believe your child is the victim of parental alienation, the time is now to take action. Reach out to our firm today to get started.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Does Child Support Work For Children With Special Needs?
  •  Where Do I Get Divorce Papers?
  •  Does It Matter Who Files For Divorce First in New Jersey?