Serving Clients across Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, Fort Lee, Hackensack, and Bergen County
A “Certified Matrimonial Law Attorney” is an attorney who has been recognized by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as having excelled in education, experience, and knowledge within the field of matrimonial law. For all intents and purposes, matrimonial law is another way of stating family law, which includes divorce, child custody, and child support to name a few.
At The Law Office of Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our partners are all Certified Matrimonial Law Attorneys. We practice exclusively family and divorce law, which allows our firm to focus our experience and understanding on the issues which matter most to our clients across New Jersey, including Paramus, Teaneck, Ridgewood, Hackensack, Fort Lee, and the greater Bergen County area.
Call our office today to discuss your individual needs and concerns regarding any divorce or family law issues in a free and confidential consultation.
Ridgewood, NJ Certified Matrimonial Law Attorneys
What Does it Take to Get Certified in New Jersey?
There is a reason there are so few Certified attorneys despite it being such a prestigious honor. Matrimonial attorneys must meet the qualifications at a minimum in order to be certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Be a member of the New Jersey bar for five years or more and be in good standing
- Fulfill all continuing and ongoing requirements of legal education
- Demonstrate substantial experience in the matrimonial law area of practice
- Earn favorable evaluations from judges and peers who have worked with the attorney in question
- Pass a written text which covers the knowledge needed to be a matrimonial attorney
In order to become a Certified Matrimonial Attorney, one must show a variety of competencies that extend beyond mere knowledge of the law. To be certified is to demonstrate knowledge, dedication and also the ability to earn the respect of other members of the legal community.
Paramus, NJ Divorce Lawyers Certified in Matrimonial Law by the NJ Supreme Court
What Areas of Law are Covered by Matrimonial Law Attorneys?
To be a Certified Matrimonial Law Attorney, one has demonstrated a deep understanding of matrimonial (family) law. But what exactly does family law include?
- Divorce – the overarching umbrella of law which dissolves marriages, including filing for divorce and reaching an agreement with the other spouse
- Child Support – regular payments made from one parent to another to assist in the cost of raising a child
- Child Custody – in New Jersey, physical and legal custody are considered separately, but both important aspects of matrimonial law
- Alimony – spousal support which can carry on after a divorce
- Family Mediation – alternative conflict resolution which avoids litigation by bringing the disputing parties together to reach a mutually beneficial goal
- Collaborative Divorce – similar to mediation, with the difference that the participants agree in writing to forego litigation
- Domestic Violence – a pattern of behavior which involves physical, psychological, or emotional harm within a domestic environment
- Adoption – adopting a child is a complex legal process with many possible avenues
- Prenuptial agreements – agreements entered into before a marriage with the intention of protecting the property and interests of both spouses
- Post-nuptial agreements – similar to prenuptial agreement, but entered into after a couple have been married
- Civil Union Dissolution – civil unions are legally analogous to marriage in New Jersey
Why Should I Choose a Certified Matrimonial Attorney?
Bergen County, NJ Family Law Lawyers
There are fewer than 150 Certified Matrimonial Law Attorneys practicing in New Jersey. Out of 80,000 registered attorneys in the state, only ~1,600 are currently certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court in their respective areas of legal practice. By working with a Certified Matrimonial Attorney, you are working with a lawyer who has been recognized by the highest legal authority in New Jersey as one of the elite 2 percent in his or her field.
Not only are you ensured that you are retaining the services of an experienced professional, but one who has been successful and well regarded within the court system. When you are deciding on an attorney to help you in your time of need, why take the chance with anyone else?
Contact our Hackensack, NJ Certified Matrimonial Law Attorneys for a Free Consultation
At Townsend, Tomaio, & Newmark, we are proud to have all three of our partners recognized by the New Jersey Supreme Court as Certified Matrimonial Attorneys. Our family and divorce attorneys have over 75 years of combined experience helping clients in New Jersey and Bergen County, including Ridgewood, Hackensack, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee.
In addition to our experience and knowledge of the New Jersey family law system, we differentiate our firm by offering several alternatives to litigation based divorce, including mediation, collaborative conflict resolution, and arbitration.
To speak with our legal team today in a free and confidential consultation regarding any issues with your divorce or other family law needs, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (973) 828-0829.