Can I Modify Divorce Terms After They’ve Been Decided in Court?

As we move through life, things gradually–and sometimes suddenly–change. Though we can’t predict how and to what extent, we can almost certainly guarantee that life will change. That is why in many cases, former spouses may require a revision of divorce terms settled years, or even months ago. If you are someone who is looking to request a post-divorce modification, you must continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bergen County divorce attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Am I allowed to modify the terms of my divorce?

Though it is not always easy, under many circumstances, you may request a post-divorce modification. There are several scenarios in which these requests are warranted, including some of the following:

  • Your spouse has recently received a job promotion, a large inheritance, or is otherwise currently far more financially well-off than decided the day of your initial ruling. In many cases, this may warrant an increase in alimony or child support payments.
  • If your child has recently reached adulthood and no longer requires child support, you may request the support be terminated.
  • Your child has undergone a change in schedule so significant that child custody terms must be modified to better accommodate the child.
  • Any instances where a child has been exposed to a parent who is unfit to be a parent, or where a parent poses a significant danger to his/her child may warrant a change in child custody terms.

How do I get a post-divorce judgment?

Many couples are pleased to learn that in post-divorce judgments, they may adjust child support, child custody, alimony, and more. However, to successfully do so, you will first have to prove that you absolutely need the requested change. It is always best to retain the services of an experienced family law attorney, as our firm can work to prove your request is valid. For example, our firm can work to obtain police reports, school records, financial papers, tax returns, and more. Though yes, in some cases, certain spouses are capable of resolving post-divorce agreements on their own, generally speaking, you will need an attorney on your side. Fortunately, the experienced attorneys at Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark are here to help.

Contact our experienced Bergen County firm

At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Protect My 401(k) In a Divorce?
  •  Does Child Support Cover School Lunches?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?