It’s hard to know where to start when you are beginning a divorce process. Many individuals facing divorce view the beginning of a divorce as the most daunting part of an emotional and stressful period in their life. Thankfully, you do not need to go through this process alone. Our family and divorce law firm will help you to navigate the divorce process by walking you through each step of the way. To get started today, give our office a call to discover how we can assist your divorce. Continue reading to discover the reasons to hire an attorney when facing a divorce, your options for settling a divorce outside of court, and what to avoid throughout this journey.
Why Hire an Attorney for Your Divorce Process
The most important reason to hire an attorney is to protect yourself and your future. Writing your own agreement without legal guidance may seem simple, but this is the best way to guarantee an error or miscommunication that could lead to unprotected legal rights for you and your ex-spouse. Working with an experienced divorce attorney ensures your best interests are properly represented in the final divorce agreement. Having a knowledgeable and skilled attorney in your corner is worth the long-term cost, both financially and emotionally.
What are my options if I don’t want to take this to court?
You have three options if you do not want to go to court when facing a divorce. Each of these alternative methods are highly effective:
- Mediation: Mediation is used to allow both spouses to feel understood and considered when creating a divorce agreement. Mediation is not legally binding.
- Arbitration: Arbitration is used to resolve conflict involving an impartial arbitrator who will make final decisions based on the legal standing and needs of both parties. Arbitration is legally binding.
- Collaborative Divorce: A collaboration divorce is used to work towards an outcome that is mutually beneficial for both parties. This will include both parties signing a written agreement used to satisfy both parties’ differences without the need for litigation.
What should I avoid throughout my divorce process?
Avoid the following throughout your divorce process to achieve a successful end result:
- Avoid making decisions before speaking with an experienced divorce attorney who will walk you through the steps necessary to begin this process.
- Avoid signing paperwork or agreeing to any terms without legal assistance. This runs the risk of drawing an unfair or unclear document that can be possibly unenforced due to the lack of legal knowledge present while drafting such documents.
- We also recommend not to do anything too hastily when facing a divorce. We understanding that this is one of the most stressful and emotional periods in your life. Our team of divorce attorneys is here to expedite the divorce proceedings for you while working with your best interest in mind. Give us a call today to get started. We are here to help.
Contact our experienced Bergen County firm
At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients to understand and protect their legal rights before, during, and after the divorce process in towns across New Jersey and Bergen County, including Hackensack, Ridgewood, Paramus, Teaneck, and Fort Lee. To speak with our team of divorce lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation regarding your concerns about your divorce, please contact us online, or through our Hackensack, NJ office at (201) 397-1750.